Day 14

June 17, 2009

Well, today I had to make a decision.
Normally, an AT hiker takes a shuttle to Baxter State Park to start out their adventure with an ascent up Mount Katahdin.
I, unfortunately, am not your typical AT hiker.
So, I'm faced with the option of having to walk to Baxter, climb the mountain and venture through what they call the 100 mile wilderness. Now, to do this, I'm going to need about 10 days worth of food and supplies AND it's not a real time-saver to help me get to Mexico.
I've also come to the realization that anything that takes longer than it should is going to dip further into my funds, and that's one luxury I can't quite rationalize on this trip.
Instead, I'm heading west on Route 11.
But, not before grabbing a quick breakfast at the AT Cafe, where I'm forced to notice something new and exciting. Yes, I'm pretty sure that in the past two weeks of travel time, from Mars Hill to here, I've finally come to see my very first black man, dreadlocks and all.
Shocking, right?
Come to think of it, things have been so pasty white up here, that I can't really recall seeing any human being of any shade darker than Nicole Kidman.
Strange, you would think the rednecks would flock to an area like this.
Anyway, life is pretty barren as I pass through West Seboeis and find a spot to ditch to on the left side of the road. Tomorrow, it's onward to Brownville Junction!

No comments:

Post a Comment