Day 18



June 21, 2009

Slugs are ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!
It's gross but, at the same time, I have to admit it's kinda fun flicking the slugs off of my tent from the inside. After scraping all of the excess visitors, I brake camp and head south on Elliotsville.
After nine miles, I eventually end up in Monson.
It's funny to think that it just took me four days to accomplish what most people take 10 to 14 days to do...
from Millinocket, up and down Mt. Katahdin and through the 100 mile wilderness.
I'd say that's a good thing.
Unfortunately, it also means that all of the people that I met back in Millinocket are so far behind me on the trail that it's safe to say that I'll probably never see any of them again.
At least, not on this trip.
So, I manage to meander my way over to the General Store, where I sign in to the AT Registry and sit down at the lunch counter to find out what all the fuss is about these wacky 'red hotdogs' that everyone in New England seems to rave about.
I tried one.
I still don't get it.
Basically, it's a normal hotdog with a snappy/crunchy outer coating. I fail to see the point.
But, I'm not a hotdog fan to begin with.
Now, there appears to be two bunk house/hostels to choose from in this town and according to the Thru-Hiker's Handbook, the Lakeshore House seems to be the only one that offers wi-fi, so that makes the choice fairly simple.
I check into Room #5, get me a shower and head downstairs to see what the restaurant has to offer. That's when I meet Rebekah, the owner, who gets a big kick out of my t-shirt (the mock up of the Trix rabbit saying, "Silly rabbit, Jesus is for everyone!").
The place has a small town tavern appeal to it so I wasn't expecting much as far as the food was concerned. But, WOW, was that some good food!
AND, a VERY healthy portion I might add.
It's also Sunday night, which is open-mic night, so the music is emanating nicely from the lake shore gazebo just outside and all the locals are having a blast.
I think I'm going to like it here.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Daniel! Great Blog! This is Michael Kelley, or "thenowinstitute" on YouTube. I just watched your Massachusetts video and saw the link to this blog. It sounds like you are meeting a lot of very nice people on your mission trip. I've said in before in comments on YouTube and I'll say it again. Your trip needs to be in the back of our Bible's with Paul's trips... lol... God Bless!!
    http://BibleStudyNow.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Dan! from the Toons over here in Mt. Vernon, IN. Eily and Jason are still talking about you and saving their pennies to put in David's jar. (Yes, the Weiberts have a fund jar for your mission!) I'm not sure what we had decided at the time you were visiting over here, but we have decided to move as missionaries to Slovakia (just across the border of Hungary). March 2010. We're not sure when we'll meet up with you again, but we'll keep praying for you.
    Keep this thing updated on your travels; we're watching!
    Sincerely, Esther
    P.S.Eily was baptized here in the pond on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete