Day 17



June 20, 2009

As you may have guessed, Brownville Junction sits right along the railroad tracks.
And, it just so happens that Mr. Belvin is retired from the railroad so he was able to give me some insight as to what lies on the western end of the horizon.
My newly gathered information tells me that no train runs on Saturday and about 20 miles worth of travel should put me in Bodfish, which is just about nine more miles up from Monson.
Now, upon starting such a trek, I figured this might take a couple of days. But, wouldn't you know it, after ten miles of hiking on the tracks and eating some lunch, the day was still young and I felt really good.
So, I ventured onto the final ten.
Those last two were really starting to take their toll, though. By the way, did I mention that it had been raining all day?
When, finally, I found some semblance of civilization and was able to leave the tracks.
On an added note, I discovered today that ten miles on a train track will take you about four hours to accomplish.
As I desperately searched for, and eventually found, the correct route toward Monson, I came across some sort of park and camping area where I managed to ditch to the right side of the road just across from the river.
I am SO HAPPY to get some sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment