Day 13





June 16, 2009

Today is pretty cool.
I've FINALLY made it to Millinocket!
This is exciting because Millinocket is the 'official' start and/or finish of the Appalachian Trail.
Though, I don't plan to exclusively hike on the AT, it's still nice to be somewhere where I can fellowship with other travelers.
While in East Millinocket, I was approached by an older couple who turned out to be the former owners of the Appalachian Trail Cafe and Lodge so, naturally, they directed me to that very same place.
I, for one, am very glad that they did.
Along the way, I was forced to turn down yet another ride offer. So far, I get a LOT of opportunities for rides but, of course, I'm hiking coast to coast so I certainly can't cheat.
It always gives me a great opportunity to share the mission of what I'm doing, though.
The lady who offered me a ride this time was so impressed that she insisted on at least giving me some money. So, ten dollars was a welcome addition to my wallet that day. :)
Once I made it to the Cafe, I thought it might be a pretty good idea to purchase a copy of the 'Thru-Hiker's Handbook' - 2009 Edition, which is the 'official' handbook for the Appalachian Trail. I also managed to gain the interest of the couple in the booth next to me. After talking to them for a while about the mission and what I was doing, they managed to force some money into my pocket as well.
(This is an amazing day of watching God meet my financial needs, seeing as how I had just begun to worry about being able to pay for the rest of this trip. The current stash of money in my bank account wasn't going to come close to getting me all of the way to California, but now I'm seeing that God has some connections of His own. So, I am mighty thankful for that.)
And, after all of that, I manage to find my way over to the AT Lodge where they have a bunk house and I'm sleeping in Room #8 on the top floor.
But, before I turn in for the night, I get my first real opportunity to talk to 'other' travelers.
Very cool!
One couple is from Georgia and they work as teachers and they've decided to start in Maine and walk all of the way back home with their dog. They appear to have over-packed quite a bit, though, and it doesn't sound like they've prepared recently with any warm-up hikes or anything like that. So, this is going to be a VERY interesting trip for them, to be sure. I REALLY hope they make it.
Amongst the other occupants of the Lodge, lo and behold, it's the couple from the Cafe. It turns out that they work just off the east coast of Maine with a couple of lobster boats and they're spending their vacation touring around with the in-land folk and taking lots of pictures along the way. They're a very entertaining couple and I only wish that I'd have gotten some contact information from them. Hopefully, God will brings our paths together again someday.
Only time will tell.

2 comments: