Day 8



June 11, 2009

This morning, I decided to use the shelter as a backdrop for C2C4C Update #5.
I, then, continue west on my journey down Town Line Road until I am met by what can only be described by imagining three hobos driving a car down a road to nowhere in the middle of Maine.
The two in the front seat were the only ones to speak and, if I'm not mistaken, they told me their names were Bob and Fred.
(Now, the entertainment value of these names is not lost on this former Philmont trekker, I'll tell you that. As for the rest of you, trust me, it's funny.)
They were not, let's say, of the most coherent mind sets of the legal driving laws I'm sure. But, they insisted on offering me a ride and to come hang out with them at their 'property'. I declined, of course, but enjoyed spending the ensuing time witnessing to them about what God has done for them.
It was an intricate dance of a conversation that involved Fred, the passenger, being very interested in what I had to say while Bob, the driver, was busy trying to describe the time in the 70's that he actually encountered the Alpha and the Omega together, in person. Meanwhile, their backseat buddy continued to occupy himself with whatever 'substance' he was fiddling with. (wink)
In the end, when they finally came to a consensus of an understanding of what I was doing, they were more than a little impressed and taken aback at my mission. And, Bob was so concerned, he gave me a dollar for some food. (Now, that doesn't sound like much but, this is my first 'real' donation to the cause. And, considering the source, I am grateful for such humble beginnings.)
After all of the excitement, I eventually find my way to Route 11 and turn south, where I have my first 'almost' bear encounter.
As I'm walking down the road I hear a car approaching from behind, but it doesn't pass. After half a minute I turn around to see the car stopped in the middle of the road about 50 yards behind me. I start to wonder what this guy's up to but all I can do is continue to hike, considering at this point I'm beginning to run out of daylight and I'm more than a little bit tired.
Eventually, the car approaches and pulls alongside of me and the guy leans out of the window and says, "Hey, did you see that bear on the side of the road back there? That's the biggest one I've ever seen in these parts! It must've been at least 350 pounds!!"
I, of course, informed him that I had not, but I am most appreciative in hearing such news now that I'm looking for a place to camp. So, at this point, I decide that hiking another mile and ditching to the left side of the road might be very appropriate.
This is also the day that I reached the end of Aroostook County. Imagine that, one county down, countless more to go!
And, if the day wasn't exciting enough already, setting up camp near the crest of a hill in the treeline somewhere in Mount Chase, Maine was my official introduction to 'the black flies'. I don't fully know what kind of new evil this is but, again, I say, "Thank God for tents with No See-Um screens!!!"
The sunset was nice but I think I miss the mosquitoes. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment