Day 24 - Here's the scoop!



June 27, 2009

This has been a good day to relax. Yet, I've also received some troubling news.
First off, I took full advantage of this wonderful room and let myself sleep in for a bit.
The Riverside Inn, where I'm staying, is less like a hotel and more like the old-time boarding houses that you see in movies like Forest Gump and such. It's the kind where all of the rooms on the same floor share a common bathroom. It's really great and the owners are VERY accommodating.
So much so, that when I discovered how inexpensive the room was, I decided to take an extra day to let my feet heal up and enjoy the extended luxury of being able to do my laundry downstairs.
I took the time to walk through the town for a bit and visited the local store down the street to pick up some groceries before I headed back to eat some lunch at the 'Here's the Scoop' Restaurant next door to the Inn. I MAY HAVE treated myself to some more ice cream, too. Just maybe.
Now, so far on this trip through Maine, my cell phone service (Sprint) has been completely useless. And, I do mean COMPLETELY.
I've gotten to where I don't even carry it on me anymore because it NEVER gets a signal. I just take it out of my pack every day or two and try it out to no avail. So, needless to say, I'm not able to stay in very good contact with anyone in the outside world. Therefore, piggy-backing on wireless networks is my only real chance to do so.
I have a friend in Pensacola, Florida (Marcie) who I like to refer to as my 'Executive Secretary' for this mission trip. She's my eyes and ears and my reliable real-world contact as I'm trouncing around coast to coast in this tiny country of ours. Well, I just received news today that she has recently been in a car wreck. From the look of things, it was just less than a week ago and she is now recovering in the hospital in fairly good condition. It was a head-on collision.
Wowzers!
The only way I know this is because someone has posted some information about it on facebook. While I am VERY grateful to hear that she is okay and that the REALLY bad bit is behind her, it certainly feels strange being so far away and so helplessly out of contact. The only real thing I can do now is pray and hope that she'll be back in action soon. We'll just have to wait and see what God has in store.
She's a pretty impressive woman of God so I'm hoping that this'll turn into an amazing testimony.

No comments:

Post a Comment