Day 22 - Staying Out of the Stream




June 25, 2009

Well, I got up this morning and hiked about 4 more miles until I FINALLY got to the next shelter. From the night before, I wasn't even close!
It was the Moxie-Bald Shelter. So, I decided to stop here and grab a quick bite to eat.
But, BEFORE I got there...
Yep, you guessed it...
there was another stream crossing!
This one turned out to be quite the adventure. The water was raging pretty good and somebody had rigged up a string stretching across the water. It ran along the top of a drop off which created a tiny waterfall of sorts.
There was absolutely NO WAY that string was going to support any weight and it certainly wasn't going to keep me from getting wet. So, I spent the next half hour trail-blazing my way upstream for an 'easier' crossing.
'Easier' is probably NOT the word of choice but at least I stayed dry and that's something, right?
I only wish that somebody could've been there to capture it on video for me. That would've been pretty special.
Anyway, lunch at the shelter afforded me the very first time that I had to replenish my water supply from a non-potable source. (It's called the stream.)
It's okay, though. I'm traveling with purification tablets.
Iodine is tasty!
As I continued on after lunch, by the time I got to the tops of any peaks, the views were obscured by clouds of rain as well as clouds of insects. So, I quickly made my way back down into yet another valley and found the Bald Mountain Brook Shelter.
On this day, I only encountered one group of hikers headed north. It was a couple of adults with their sons on a one-week expedition. They turned out to be Christians, so witnessing wasn't an option but they were definitely supportive of my goal, so that's cool.
I think I'm going to call it a night.
"It's a night."

No comments:

Post a Comment