Day 28 - PEN-AW-THA




July 1, 2009

After packing up my stuff and checking out of my room at the Farmington Baptist Church, I headed back to the main road to head south to Wilton. Not before grabbing an early lunch at Subway, though.
Five dollar foot longs are a GREAT deal when you're living on the road.
Once I got to Wilton, I kept pushing west to East Dixfield.
It's Wednesday, so my thinking was to find me a church service in town and get some fellowship.
Unfortunately, NONE that I came across offered a mid-week service.
Oh well.
At the edge of town, I stopped at the convenient store/lunch counter to converse with some of the locals and try to find out where might be a good place for me to bed down for the night.
They directed me over to some property down the road where they assured me that I'd be welcome. So, this is where I meet up with a man by the name of Larry 'Buck' Bisbee.
He's located right on Route 2 and he likes to call the place 'Pen-Aw-Tha', which apparently is the Maine way of saying 'pen author'.
It's a sort of hide-away spot for writers to do some workshopping and focus on their craft.
But, writing isn't the only craft located here.
It seems that Buck is quite the music fan. His whole place is set-up as Maine's Country Folk Music Theatre. Subsequently EVERY weekend is a musical extravaganza where talented people come from all over to sing, play and fellowship as much as possible before having to go back to the 'real world' on Monday.
Too bad I won't be here for that. It sounds like a real hoot.
So, instead, I get the privilege of hanging out with Buck and talking about music and ministry and even film production.
His property was recently the setting for a DVD movie called, 'Bare Foot Country Girl', of which he directed and produced using local talent plus whatever other resources he could muster together. He was also kind enough to give me a copy.
Now, I just need to get him a copy of the Dinosaur DVD that we put together. It might take me a while to accomplish that one, though.
Once it was time to turn in for the night, he directed me out to the official 'Pen-Aw-Tha' cabin.
I have now officially made myself at home and am settling down for a good night's sleep.
This place is quite the visual odyssey. And, it's pretty cozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment